Sunday, December 19, 2010

Fire and Ice

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if I had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction of ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

Robert Frost, I recall a poem a while back, maybe 6th grade or so by you, I think i enjoyed it but I dont quite recall its content. I am however pretty sure it wasn't so sinister. The end of the world is an aggressive subject, and you speak of desire, destruction, and hate. You seem bent on the destruction of the world, what if it never ends? or ends in something else, like a mud slide or something. But youre word choice, also known as diction is impressive, powerful I mean. And also in such a short poem im suprised with the ryhme scheme, abaabcbcb..kinda random. But its a powerful poem and also has a twist of mood at the end. Props.

Most intersting to me are the ryhme scheme and the irony in the poem. I see now you dont need a scheduled scheme but just have a ryhme, or even no ryhme. Poems are just written expressions from the heart and mind, there's no need for a limmerick or haikui or whatever style of ryhming. And I really like the twist from fire must be right, to ice would suffice. He presents an almost arguement but then says either would be great ways for the World to END

No comments:

Post a Comment